My first post is called "A Legacy of Love" because that is what my Grandpa Mathis left behind. He was FULL of love and had so much to give. He loved Jesus, his wife (he always called her "babe"), his 3 kids, his 10 grandchildren, his 27 great-grandchildren, and so many others in his 94 years of living. He always had a smile on his face, was always ready to help someone out, loved being around kids, loved sports, was a hard worker, took care of his family, was a good listener...I could go on and on. He was a huge example of what it meant to live a Christ-like life and our whole family loved him dearly.
There have been so many memories that have floated around in my head since that Saturday I found out he passed away. We loved to be at our grandparents' house! Some of my favorite memories are going sledding down their big hill in the backyard in the winter and doing a slip and slide in the summer, getting candy from their "candy closet", playing games with grandpa, looking at old photo albums, going fishing in the Tittabawassee River, and spending the night.
My heart is filled with such a peace when I think about grandpa's life and the legacy he has left behind. I am so thankful he lived 94 wonderful years, was married to his best friend for 70 of them, and died peacefully surrounded by his family. What more could we ask for?
We are going to miss him so much but we are so glad we will see him again someday in Heaven!
Here are some pictures of Grandpa, as well as the obituary.
2009
2010
2011
This was the first time he met Adelyn and held her. I will cherish this picture!
Obituary:
MATHIS, Alvin Phillip of Saginaw, Michigan. Husband of Rosamond Mathis passed away Saturday afternoon, August 20, 2011 peacefully at home, age 94 years. Alvin P. Mathis was born in Saginaw, Michigan December 28, 1916 the son of the late John and Katherine (Weil) Mathis. He was married to Rosamond Wahl on November 22, 1940. Alvin served in the United States Army during World War II. He attended Midland Evangelical Free Church in Midland. He retired from Helfrecht Machine Co. after 43 years of service. Alvin was always ready to lend a helping hand to those who needed it. He loved children and he made us all laugh. Alvin is survived by his wife of 70 years; three children, James (Joan) Mathis, Gaylord, Michigan, Judy (Jon) Dewald, Pontiac, Illinois, Mary Jo (Mike) Thomas, Saginaw, Michigan; ten grandchildren and 27 great-grandchildren; Private memorial services will take place at a later date with Rev. James Mathis sharing God's word. Arrangements were under the care of W. L. Case & Company, 4480 Mackinaw Rd. www.casefuneralhome.com
"Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you."
Isaiah 46:4
What a sweet post~ your grandfather was such a special person. Love everything you shared about him. I know your grandmother misses him like crazy!!! It is such a grand thing to know it isn't goodbye~ just see you later. LOVE every single photo!!! Glad you are home!
ReplyDeleteXOXO