"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever." 1 Chronicles 16:34

Saturday, January 25, 2014

What a Friend

As I was getting ready this morning, a song came on the Pandora station I was listening to and I immediately recognized it as an old hymn. I remember singing it many times at the church I grew up in. I'm sure that, as a child, I never really thought about the words I was singing or maybe I just didn't understand them but today I listened closely as I sang along to the remake of this song...

What a friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden,
cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In his arms he'll take and shield thee;
thou wilt find a solace there.

Such hope found in this song, isn't there? My favorite words are "O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear, all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer." I know that, for me, I have often forfeited peace because I tried to figure things out myself. I tried to carry the burden myself instead of giving it over to Him. Such a beautiful reminder in this song that we have the PERFECT FRIEND...a PRECIOUS SAVIOR who loves us, cares about us, and wants us to have complete peace in Him. No friend knows us better than Him! Not even our spouses!

I wonder if any of you are trying to carry something today that you don't need to carry, and you're feeling discouraged or defeated? May this song be a reminder to you that all we need to do is take it to the Lord in prayer...

Love,
 

1 comment: